Sunday, December 21, 2008

picture perfect portraits of your pet

Picture Perfect Portraits Of Your PetWriten by Michael Waine

The pet industry is growing fast. More than ever before, people are treating their pets like members of their families. We now have many more pet shops, groomers, and veterinarians. Traveling with pets is becoming more common than ever before and the hospitality industry knows it. Breeders, kennels and good obedience trainers are becoming easier to find.
Finding the right pet is rewarding and comforting for many. As we live longer and some of us become empty nesters, our desire to have animals in our homes allows us to continue to love and nurture an animal as much as if it were a child of our own.

I have many reasons for wanting to work with animals and photograph them. One big reason is that people want to be recognized and to show others the comfort they enjoy with their pet. Some want to share the joy of having a new puppy. Some want to have memorable images of their older pet who might not be with them in a few months. There are many reasons why people want pet photos.

When Steve Cook, the editor of West End's Best Magazine, asked me to write an article about being a pet photographer, I was flattered. I was telling Steve how I get the results and I came to realize that it just takes a lot of patience, persistence, and praise. Dogs are pack animals and will respect the leader of the pack and give the leader cooperation only when the leader has earned their trust and respect. The behavior I want from the dog is best when it is not forced but given willingly by the dog. Thats the only way you can get the dog to smile. Before my photo session begins, I talk to the dog, play with him, and give him a chance to do what dogs do. He is a dog, not a furry object. He has his own unique personality, sometimes shy, sometimes outgoing. For me its not about the breed, but more about the personality. Since I only have a short amount of time to get results, I think it is important that the dog be made to feel important and to understand that this get-together is all about him. He must see that he is the focus of the attention and he is very important to us. My success comes with this kind of cooperation, not control. You can control a dog for a few moments, but he might want to cooperate for a longer amount of time if you guide him towards the right attitude and behavior.

Before I begin photography, we might romp around for a short while before getting in front of the camera. I might ask the dog to sit or be obedient and then praise the dog with food treats. By using treats and rewards, I can get the dogs attention. By gaining his trust, I try to become the pack leader for the session time. By showing them how persistent I can be, and how much I really want a certain pose, they understand that this get-together must be important. Its not magic that I use, it is my respect for the animals individuality that gets me some very fine pet portraits. Add the pets human to the mixture, and we now have a captured moment that often shows the comfort shared between the owner and his or her pet! How wonderful it is for me when I deliver the images or album and hear how the owner cant wait to show it around! That is my reward, my praise, my motivation!!!

Michael Waine is a professional photographer with over 30 years of experience.
He has been very successful in capturing the special moments people have with their pets.
Visit his website at http://www.michaelwaine.com/pets to see his work.